It’s hard to believe, but there once was a time when Valentine’s Day was just a 24-hour period for lovers to whisper sweet nothings into one another’s ears and share even sweeter smooches. Then, somewhere along the line, Valentine’s became a day when we show our children, our grandparents, our teachers, our friends and neighbors—heck, even our CPA who got us an unexpectedly large tax refund—just how much we love them. Valentine’s Day has become a day smack in the middle of February, which is a lot more fun than Groundhog Day but also just as repetitious as the Bill Murray film in a lot of ways.
Farewell, My Facebook Friend and Hero
Puppet pioneer Judy Folkmanis has died, but leaves behind a legacy of love and laughter.
There are certain moments that we remember throughout our lives. One of mine was the day I received a “friend” request on Facebook from Judy Folkmanis. Judy was one of the co-founders of the irresistible puppet brand, Folkmanis. Years earlier, I remember I had been so surprised when I discovered that Folkmanis was a real last name and a real person—it wasn’t a dreamed-up sales mascot like Ronald McDonald or Betty Crocker. (Yep, Betty Crocker was a customer-service ploy created by the Washburn Crosby Company.) No, Judy Folkmanis was a real woman, with a real life story, admirable accomplishments, and a variety of dreams.Continue Reading
How to Enter
- Be sure to read all the rules below before entering.
- Between Monday, Oct. 5, and Monday, Dec. 7, 2015, go to the TOBY Entry Page to enter online. You can also click the TOBY 2016 link at the top left of the www.teddybearandfriends.com home page.
- The entry fee must be included. The first entry is $65. Additional entries are $35 each. Payment must be made by credit card. These fees are nonrefundable. Fees are applied to the contest’s administrative and publicity costs. Each entry must be accompanied by a paid entry fee or it will be disqualified.
- Make sure the online form is complete and accurate before submitting your entry. The information submitted will be used in the magazine and in promotional materials for nominated and winning entries. Any entry form that is not accompanied by photos and an entry fee will be invalid and not viewed by the judges. A separate online form must be filled out for each piece entered.
- Include two photos. See the full contest rules below.
- Everyone who enters the 2016 TOBY Awards will receive a discount coupon good toward the purchase of your next ad in Teddy Bear & Friends as well as a free one-year subscription (or renewal) to Teddy Bear & Friends (print edition for addesses in the United States; digital only for foreign addresses). Limit one coupon and subscription per artist or company.
- Entries must be received by Dec. 7, 2015.